Friday, December 18, 2009

Kannalane (Bombay)

Hi Everyone,

It's been a really long time since I've uploaded any of my recordings - mostly because of two reasons.

I had a huge musical show (by my team Jashn) staged on July 12, 2009, which, thanks to the Bay Area Audience and the hard work of my 30 member cast, was a tremendous success!

I've also been stuck. I couldn't/didn't record anything that I was satisfied with in the past seven months. But, since I think the mental block is leading to a general recording block, I'm going to finally upload a recording that I've been decently satisfied with.

This song, in my opinion, is one of those everlasting melodies of AR Rahman and Chitra that will never lose its charm. Without further ado, here's my rendition:

Song: Kannalane
Movie: Bombay
Composer: A.R. Rahman
Rendered by: Vidya Venkateswaran (Originally by K.S. Chitra)

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA


P.S. Can anyone give me a hand with mixing? I would really appreciate any tips and tricks. I work primarily with Garage Band, and have a tendency of moving when I sing, so fixing the the volume differences and mixing with the track would probably make my recordings sound much more continuous!

7 comments:

bhargav said...

Yeah this indeed is one of Rahman's best..Uyire Uyire also from Bombay is another everlasting melody..very good singing.. really liked it.. Congrats!!!

aks said...

Hey vids! absolutely amazing! i have to say i am very very impressed! music directors shud looking out for upcoming market researchers i guess!

Unknown said...

i totally agree....

Eshwar Ravishankar said...

Good Lord...!! Dis s mind blowing... ur singing was not like the original.. u had ur own flavour which enhances the whole thing.. great stuff... do keep me updated on ur posts..!!

Regards

Unknown said...

Vidya
Nice singing dear..the notes in the first stanza were a little different. (palalvi ending).

Vidya said...

Thanks everyone!!!

@Eshwar: Welcome to my space! Glad you enjoyed my rendition :)

Murali Sankar Venkatraman said...

Vidya:

Just happened to listen to your version of kaNNAlane. You have defintiely done a good job in this tough song. And your tone is very nice too.

Some of the intricate sangathis have been glossed over may be due to less attention than lack of talent since you have sung some other sangathis very easily and beautifully. For example “oru minsaara paarvaiyin vEgam vEgam”. In here the notes you have sung are :

first vEgam : “sa; sa;”
second vEgam : “ni; sa;”

whereas the notes actually are :

first vEgam : “sa; srsn”
second vEgam : “ni sa”

Attention to such minute details will embellish your good rendition to the next level.

Regards
Murali Venkatraman